Woman Rejects Surgery For Rare Face-Melting Condition That Made Her Blind


A Thai grandma who suffers from a rare ailment that melts her face and began to go blind is declining to go under the knife because of the doubt that it might kill her. Wiang Boonmee, 63, has a disorder that has led to her lost her vision in both eyes. Her mouth and nose have also been twisted out of shape as they hang off her face.

According to her, she has suffered from the condition since she was a child. Despite the struggles that go with it, she remains to earn a living by selling accessories on the city streets of Bangkok.




Wiang Boonmee has a rare condition that melts her face and has led to blindness.



Originally from Surin, Boonmee has now received a lot of recognition because of her condition. It is assumed that she has a condition related to neurofibromatosis which is “a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form on nerve tissue,” according to DailyMail.

Eventually, medical experts offered to help her – but she keeps refusing them.





At first, it was 22-year-old Praew Wattana who contacted health workers when she saw the old woman on selling flowers and trinkets on the streets.


Dr Sunura Ourairat, President of Rangsit University, later paid her a visit as well and offered to help her get medical attention.
She, once again, declined.

The reason? She fears she will die during surgery.




A mother of one and a grandmother of two, Boonme shared why she’s so afraid of going under the knife. She said:

“I have had this problem for a long time. More than I can remember. I have survived and I’m healthy and have a job.

“If I have an operation I might never wake up. I’m afraid I would not survive it.

“My daughter brings me here so I can sell flowers and camphor oils. I am happy and somebody gave me a donation this week, which I’m grateful for.”


Share this: